Re: Running Instances on Windoz

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 3 Dec 2003 16:19:54 -0800

Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net> wrote in message news:<3FCBDF22.EC5DC247_at_yahoo.net>...
> Billy Verreynne wrote:
> >
> > joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote .
> > .
> > .> Hmmmmmmm. Those "shoulds" getcha every time. Are you saying
> > Oracle
> > > didn't do the dependencies correctly or is there something to be setup
> > > in system services?
> >
> > I would put the blame on Oracle if it does not work. Each NT service
> > can be defined with dependancies. This will ensure that the service's
> > startup sequence is correct. For example, if service A needs service B
> > to work, and you start service A while B is down, B will be started
> > first and then A.
> >
> > Thus if there are startup issues with 9i and 9iAS and what not, then
> > Oracle has to sort that one out.
> >

> I'm not sure that it's an Oracle problem.
>
> I've had this configured on about 2 doz. nearly identical Windows 2000
> Pro systems (9iAS: Basic Admin class). The inconsistency in 9iAS
> start-ups seems to indicate that Services may have an internal timeout
> while waiting for dependancies. The symptom seems to be "Time-out, stop
> waiting and attempt to start the service". If the timeout was Oracle's,
> I think I would have found a place to configure it.
>
> Very frustrating.

I'm sure you know _way_ more about it than me, but I've noticed starting it up repeatedly on a particular box with scripts that the ohs is very variable in how it responds. It seemed to be based on something that starts before it that it is dependent on (opmn), but I just don't know enough to figure it out. My wild speculation is opmn is being arbitrarily and capriciously shunned by the OS for something it needs. To be honest, I do think it is Oracle, which should be able to handle OS issues ("bug closed, infeasable to fix" is BS!), but I blame bg anyways for my own ignorance of the Windows tools for resolving these kinds of problems (assuming there _are_ any suitable tools - I would think that resolving this would be Oracle's job).

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
Happy Birthday, Ozzie Ozbourne!  Don't forget to pick up your AARP