XML startup questions

From: Gerald B. Rosenberg <No_at_address.net>
Date: 02 Dec 2003 07:41:44 GMT

Trying to get a handle on Oracle/XML. Am I correct in understanding that Oracle Database 9.2.0.1 is the current XML DB for Win2k and Linux Pentium and that Oracle XDK 10g is an independent addon that can be used with 9.2.0.1?

I have worked with the Oracle TopLink workbench, but could not find any equivalent Java-based XML persistence framework. Did I miss something?

Seems like the XML documents stored to the database are basically stored in an unstructured repository (at least in comparison to "ordinary" relational tables) and a set of virtual tables are created and connected through the applicable XML schema to the documents and thereby provide concurrent XPath/stream-oriented and XQuery/SQL-oriented access. The XML document "shredding" on storage is just a logical operation used to associate the document elements with the virtual tables/columns. Is this an adequately accurate initial working model for what is going on? Is there a better functional description?

Thanks,
Gerald Received on Tue Dec 02 2003 - 01:41:44 CST