Re: Running Instances on Windoz

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 1 Dec 2003 16:24:29 -0800

vslabs_at_onwe.co.za (Billy Verreynne) wrote in message news:<1a75df45.0311262148.1d7ca56b_at_posting.google.com>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote .
> .

> As for Unix style scripting on NT. Running Cygwin... well, that's like
> a fake orgasm. Not something that is really enjoyable.

Depends on who's faking (cf When Harry Met Sally :-)

> > That's why I let management deal with that sort of thing after I state
> > my technical opinions. And why I wish Windows wasn't such crap.
>
> But then with Windows being (more than once btw) among the top 10
> fastest TPC platforms (with SQL-Server) in the world, is it truly that
> crap?

Well, I'll avoid that whole TPC argument, but I will say, it doesn't do much for me and a little W2K box with an Oracle db. Or several boxes.

> I think the real problem is that we are so used to do it in a specific
> way in Unix, that the Windows way seem foreign, crude, inflexible...
> but then with a cup full of Unix how can we truly taste what Windows
> is like? Er.. not that I particularly want to. I prefer my HP-UX
> server and Linux web servers & desktop. :-)

Hey, I did the VMS <--> unix shift-world-view for years, so I don't have a problem spewing out a truly foul taste of W.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
End of Days for Unix, news at 11: