Re: Running Instances on Windoz

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2003 00:38:42 GMT

Billy Verreynne wrote:

> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote .
> .
> .> Hmmmmmmm. Those "shoulds" getcha every time. Are you saying
> Oracle
> > didn't do the dependencies correctly or is there something to be setup
> > in system services?
>
> I would put the blame on Oracle if it does not work. Each NT service
> can be defined with dependancies. This will ensure that the service's
> startup sequence is correct. For example, if service A needs service B
> to work, and you start service A while B is down, B will be started
> first and then A.
>
> Thus if there are startup issues with 9i and 9iAS and what not, then
> Oracle has to sort that one out.

I'm not sure that it's an Oracle problem.

I've had this configured on about 2 doz. nearly identical Windows 2000 Pro systems (9iAS: Basic Admin class). The inconsistency in 9iAS start-ups seems to indicate that Services may have an internal timeout while waiting for dependancies. The symptom seems to be "Time-out, stop waiting and attempt to start the service". If the timeout was Oracle's, I think I would have found a place to configure it.

Very frustrating. Received on Mon Dec 01 2003 - 18:38:42 CST