Re: Pentium M and Oracle Performance

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 25 Nov 2003 00:49:47 -0800

W. Theiss <wtheiss_at_gmx.de> wrote in message news:<MPG.1a2c1d84b8ec9e55989683_at_News.CIS.DFN.DE>...
> Because there are much faster Pentium 4 CPUs available (max 3.2GHz)
> and the price for the Latitude D800 is quite expensive I am wondering if
> it make sense to spend more money for a Pentium M CPU, because we
> basically need Processor speed to run Oracle 9i

No you do not "need Processor speed to run Oracle 9i". You will probably have no problems with CPU, your problem will be these two disks. Disks are most limiting component for performance in all notebooks. Because of heat problems and need for small factor, even most (and expensive) harddisk for notebooks are extremely slow beasts comparing with even averages from desktop area. And what's the most important perf component in database system? Small hint: the slowest one. BINGO! Yes, disk subsystem. So take no care about which CPU your notebook will have, because nevertheless of CPU used as database machine it will still be a poor runner.

--
with regards

Dusan Bolek