Re: Standby and primary on different version of Solaris (7 and 8)

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 17:45:04 GMT

"Vsevolod Afanassiev" <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au> wrote in message news:4f7d504c.0311211852.1a7e1d_at_posting.google.com...
> Anurag,
>
> Thanks
>
> But this is not exactly the same: in you case there were
> two databases created independently, although I still
> don't understand how it could cause corruption.
>
> If no changes to the database blocks are required
> after upgrade Solaris 7 -> Solaris 8 then at least
> cold backup-stype copy should work OK, right?
> In other words if I shut down database on Solaris 7 box,
> copy it to Solaris 8 (or when using SAN simply unmount
> the disks on one box and mount on another box),
> and then start the database - everything should be fine, right?
> So the real question is whether archivelog
> generated on Solaris 7 can be applied to
> the database on Solaris 8.
>
> In any case, I don't see any other valuable option.
> Let's say the requirement is to upgrade Solaris
> with minimal outage for Oracle. How would you do it?
>
> Regards,
> Sev

Sev,

I know its not the same case I'm talking about. However, its comparable. Using your same logic I would have imagined that there should not have been any problem... but then I did some problems.

Richard Foote has in an earlier thread in this group, mentioned the following ways to move Oracle db's on different OS's .. with minimal outage:

1 Oracle replication using offline instantiation 2. Oracle streams
3. Shareplex (I think it works like Oracle Streams ... however, simpler to implement but more expensive).

and Brian Peasland had suggested something like the following: 4. export / import + redo log mining (might be ok if dealing with low volume of data changes).

... and if the database is small enough .. then probably speeding up export/import can be enough.

In the end .. I'd say YMMV ... maybe what you plan to do might just work. However, you asked for opinion
.. and mine was to not try it using standby.

Anurag Received on Sat Nov 22 2003 - 11:45:04 CST