Re: Standby and primary on different version of Solaris (7 and 8)

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 21 Nov 2003 18:52:46 -0800

Anurag,

Thanks

But this is not exactly the same: in you case there were two databases created independently, although I still don't understand how it could cause corruption.

If no changes to the database blocks are required after upgrade Solaris 7 -> Solaris 8 then at least cold backup-stype copy should work OK, right? In other words if I shut down database on Solaris 7 box, copy it to Solaris 8 (or when using SAN simply unmount the disks on one box and mount on another box), and then start the database - everything should be fine, right? So the real question is whether archivelog generated on Solaris 7 can be applied to the database on Solaris 8.

In any case, I don't see any other valuable option. Let's say the requirement is to upgrade Solaris with minimal outage for Oracle. How would you do it?

Regards,
Sev Received on Fri Nov 21 2003 - 20:52:46 CST