Re: Another Oracle "Myth"?

From: Michael J. Moore <NOhicamelSPAM_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 18:02:27 GMT

Checking in late on this one but my reaction to what Mr. Millsap is saying is basically "Well duh!"
It is like putting a program into a loop and watching the CPU race and thinking that that means you have a very efficient program. It seems rather obvious that hit ratio, as an isolated metric, is rather meaningless.

Also, there is that old adage, "If it is too good to be true, it probably is." Well, 99% is too good to be true so it is very suspicious and I think Mr. Millsap is saying that the number one suspect would be a badly tuned SQL statement.

So, if the hit ratio is fairly low, and you know your SQL is well tuned, then throwing more RAM at the problem is probably a good idea. Right?

But this raises some questions in my mind that some of the gurus in here may like to comment on.

"When is a PHYSICAL IO NOT A Physical IO? and does it matter?" I am thinking about RAM disk cache here, and RAID and any other type of physical device that may look like a physical IO to Oracle but may not be requiring an actual disk read. And then there is the problem of other applications running on the same system that may be determining if Oracle's request for a physical IO can be serviced by a Logical IO at the OS/device level.

Goodbye science, hello art.

Mike