REP-56106 when starting Reports with VBScript

From: William Soung <wsoung_at_uclink4.berkeley.edu>
Date: 20 Nov 2003 20:38:24 -0800

currently use a VBScript to start-up Reports and other Oracle services. Here is an example of how I do it:

'START INFRASTRUCTURE HTTP SERVER

iReturn = oshell.Run("%comspec% /C C:\oracle\ora92inf\dcm\bin\dcmctl start -ct ohs", 0, TRUE)

'START REPROTS

iReturn = oshell.Run("%comspec% /C C:\oracle\ora92as\bin\rwserver server=[rep_name]", 0, FALSE)

While Reports is starting-up, I receive the following error in a pop-up window: "REP-56106: Engine rwEng-0 died with error:"

The odd thing about this is that I was previously using the VBScript SendKeys method to start-up Reports. This worked well except it required using the Sleep method in order to wait for commands to finish rather than detecting when a call had terminated and then moving on to the next call (this is what my new script does with Run method). Here is an example of the old way I was doing it:

' START THE REPORTS SERVER

ws.SendKeys "cd " & AS_DIR & "\bin\{ENTER}" ws.SendKeys REPSERVER & "{ENTER}"
WScript.Sleep 2000

I also tried starting up the other Oracle services using my new script, then manually starting Reports server. This causes the same error.

So, it seems like using my new script causes some problem while starting up the other services which subsequently causes Reports to crash. However, checking the status of the mid-tier and infrastructure show that the appropriate services are started.

Any ideas on how I can use the VBScript Run method to start-up services and Reports?

Or does anyone else have ideas on how to script the start-up of the mid-tier, infrastructure and Reports that actually waits for one call to finish before starting the next?

Thanks in advance for your help! Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 22:38:24 CST