Re: Standby and primary on different version of Solaris (7 and 8)

From: Anurag Varma <avdbi_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 04:00:22 GMT

"Vsevolod Afanassiev" <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au> wrote in message news:4f7d504c.0311201648.2105e9f7_at_posting.google.com...
> Sybrand,
>
> Thanks
>
> Yes, I understand that this is unsupported configuration.
> But from technical perspective it is similar to the impact on Oracle of
> upgrading Solaris from 7 to 8. What do you need
> to do with Oracle database in this case? Not much:
> - Shutdown the database
> - Upgrade Solaris
> - Relink Oracle executables or re-install Oracle software from CD and
> apply patches.
>
> Note that there is no need to do anything with database
> files, control files, redo logs - they remain as they are.
>
> Why not upgrade Solaris? There are two reasons:
> - Our UNIX admins prefer to rebuild Solaris boxes instead of upgrading them
> - Upgrade will require much longer outage than 2 - 3 minutes
> required to activate standby and change a few tnsnames.ora files.

Let me tell you about my experience when I tried using transportable tablespace feature between solaris 8 and solaris 7 (i.e from 8 to 7)

Initially all seemed well. After a short while I started seeing ORA-600 errors. Found 4 corrupt indexes. 3 compressed indexes got corrupted in a short while, and one bitmap index got corrupted after the database was in use for a day. The database was 9.2.0.3.

Coincidence .. Maybe .... I was able to resolve the problems pretty quickly .. however, thats not the point.

This was a development box. Would I try the same in a production environment ... NO.

YMMV Anurag Received on Thu Nov 20 2003 - 22:00:22 CST