Re: Standby and primary on different version of Solaris (7 and 8)

From: Vsevolod Afanassiev <vafanassiev_at_aapt.com.au>
Date: 20 Nov 2003 16:48:36 -0800

Sybrand,

Thanks

Yes, I understand that this is unsupported configuration. But from technical perspective it is similar to the impact on Oracle of upgrading Solaris from 7 to 8. What do you need to do with Oracle database in this case? Not much:
- Shutdown the database

Note that there is no need to do anything with database files, control files, redo logs - they remain as they are.

Why not upgrade Solaris? There are two reasons:
- Our UNIX admins prefer to rebuild Solaris boxes instead of upgrading them