Re: Synchronizing 2 tables in same database -how ?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 07:21:12 -0800

Christian Svensson wrote:

> Greetings all,
>
> We have 2 tables in the same database that we want to synchronize.
> After looking at Oracle Replication as a possible method, it seems
> that Oracle Replication can only be used when replicating objects
> between databases.
>
> Am I correct ?
>
> The table are rather large, ~60Gb, so exp/imp as another name is not
> an option.
>
> So I hope there are Oracle guys out there who can give me some hints
> or recommendations of what the best way to synchronize 2 tables within
> the same database.
>
> Oracle 8.1.7.4
> Sun Solaris 2.6 (yes I know its old)
>
> Thanks !
>
> /Christian

To answer your question requires knowing why you would want two identical ~60GB tables.

  1. Is the intention that they always remain identical?
  2. If not what is the purpose? How will the replicate be used?
  3. If so ... why are you doing this at all?
  4. Is this a one-time only replication or will this be done regularly?
  5. If the tables are to remain identical how close to real-time must the replication be?
--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu