Re: How to PERMANENTLY set semaphores in Linux - Suse Personal Edition 8.2?

From: ynotssor <"ynotssor">
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:24:30 -0800

<linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:672ceaed.0311130006.36cf8f24_at_posting.google.com

> I'm using: Linux Suse personal edition 8.2
[...]
> As the docs said, I did this:
> echo `expr 2048 \* 1024 \* 1024` > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
[...]
> reboot

[...]
> But, then I got the same symptom.

[...]
> So, it didn't keep the value!!!

Of course not; you rebooted and rebuilt the entire /proc structure.

> In Solaris, this was easy. Edit the file:
> /etc/system and reboot. The values stayed there forever.
>
> But how to do this in Suse, and make it stick?
> I don't want to put this in some script, so they
> get changed while booting, and add yet another
> layer of complexity.

So you want to edit a file in Solaris that is parsed on a boot, but you don't want to add a simple one-line command (which you've already demonstrated that you know) to a file in Suse that is parsed on a boot? Or even to the Oracle startup script?

Why are you even asking for help then? Do you think *any* computer system is able to read your mind?