Re: How to PERMANENTLY set semaphores in Linux - Suse Personal Edition 8.2?

From: baskitcaise <baskitcaise_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 08:55:56 +0000

linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> HI all,
>
> I'm using: Linux Suse personal edition 8.2
>
> I am using the dbca with Oracle 9.2. It keeps
> running out of memory with the ora-27123 error.
>
> As the docs said, I did this:
>
> echo `expr 2048 \* 1024 \* 1024` > /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
>
> cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
> 2147483648
>
> reboot
>
> ---------------
>
> But, then I got the same symptom.
> I checked the file.
>
> cat /proc/sys/kernel/shmmax
> 33554432
>
> So, it didn't keep the value!!!
>

> ipcs -l
>
> ------ Shared Memory Limits --------
> max number of segments = 4096
> max seg size (kbytes) = 32768
> max total shared memory (kbytes) = 8388608
> min seg size (bytes) = 1
>
> ------ Semaphore Limits --------
> max number of arrays = 1024
> max semaphores per array = 250
> max semaphores system wide = 256000
> max ops per semop call = 32
> semaphore max value = 32767
>
> ------ Messages: Limits --------
> max queues system wide = 128
> max size of message (bytes) = 8192
> default max size of queue (bytes) = 16384
>

> In Solaris, this was easy. Edit the file:
> /etc/system
> and reboot. The values stayed there forever.
>
> But how to do this in Suse, and make it stick?
>
> I don't want to put this in some script, so they
> get changed while booting, and add yet another
> layer of complexity.
>
> Thanks

Might be on the wrong track here but have you looked at powertweak, you can pass sysctl commands here, there are some already set up for the oracle memory limits, if the setting is not there you can always add it to the /etc powertweak/tweaks file with your preferred editor.

HTH

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.