Re: Recommended Linux for Oracle RAC, Oracle apps, Ias

From: <linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 15 Nov 2003 10:22:26 -0800

> > Red Hat is good. If you don't want to shell out for the biggie Enterprise
> > stuff (and there's no need to, just to practice RAC), my vote would go (I
> > think) to Red Hat 8.0, but Red Hat 9.0 is workable.

So, you have got RAC to work on regular Red Hat 8 and 9?

> AFAIR you need the proper gcc version to even install Oracle properly.
> The one that comes with RH 8.0/9.0 is just too new.

As was my bad experience attempting to install 817 on the newest Redhat 7 a few years ago. After days of struggle, I went back to 6.2, and 817 installed in an hour. I was not impressed.

> RH AS/ES 2.1 don't come with lvm, making it unusable as db server, AS/ES 3.0
> come with lvm, however I'm still waiting for the install media, can't comment
> on those.

Really? I noticed that my Suse Personal 8.2 had a GUI to configure RAID, and LVM.

> Best idea, get someone you know to make you a copy of the SLES media kit
> and the patches. While this might not be legal, I wouldn't care much if
> this is really for private educational purposes only!

As the Oracle sales reps said regarding ordering their CDs for $40.00.

Thanks everyone for all your help and support. Received on Sat Nov 15 2003 - 12:22:26 CST