Re: Recommended Linux for Oracle RAC, Oracle apps, Ias

From: Michael Heiming <michael+USENET_at_www.heiming.de>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 10:56:39 +0100

In alt.os.linux Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote:

> <linuxquestion_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Will Redhat professional workstation work?

You could make it working, as almost any other distro.

> > How about Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS 2.1 Standard ED. Only $210.
> > How about Mandrake? Linux 9.2 is only $7.00 at Linux Central.
> > Is there a place to buy Redhat Enterprise or Advanced
> > server cheap? Or download for free?

Not that I'm aware of, at least not legal.

[..]

> Red Hat is good. If you don't want to shell out for the biggie Enterprise
> stuff (and there's no need to, just to practice RAC), my vote would go (I
> think) to Red Hat 8.0, but Red Hat 9.0 is workable.

AFAIR you need the proper gcc version to even install Oracle probably. The one that comes with RH 8.0/9.0 is just too new.

RH AS/ES 2.1 don't come with lvm, making it unusable as db server, AS/ES 3.0 come with lvm, however I'm still waiting for the install media, can't comment on those.

Oracle runs fine on SuSE SLES8, but you don't get this enterprise distro for free and you need a special account to be even able to download patches.

Best idea, get someone you know to make you a copy of the SLES media kit and the patches. While this might not be legal, I wouldn't care much if this is really for private educational purposes only!

Good luck

--
Michael Heiming

inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM