Delayed 8.1.7 Standby Database question

From: Francisco Javier Garcia Humphries <fjgarcia_at_e-humphries.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:51:27 +0100

I wan't to set up a standby database on Oracle 8.1.7. I would like this database to be delayed 4 hours. ¿What would be the best way of doing this?

I would like log application to be automatically managed, but i believe this is imposible until oracle 9.2 (DELAY PARAMETER OF THE LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n). To do this manually, i plan to use a script to transfer logs to the standby database and another one to apply logs and use 'RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME (current time -4 hours)'. Is this RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME a good aproach or should I use the scripts to implement the delay?

If i use RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME, Will i be able to open the standby database read-only without having to use RESETLOGS, or recreate it afterwards?

Thanx in advance Received on Sat Nov 15 2003 - 05:51:27 CST