Re: Delayed 8.1.7 Standby Database question

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 22:57:18 +1100

"Francisco Javier Garcia Humphries" <fjgarcia_at_e-humphries.net> wrote in message news:bp53ln$8iv$1_at_news.ya.com...
> I wan't to set up a standby database on Oracle 8.1.7. I would like this
> database to be delayed 4 hours. ¿What would be the best way of doing this?
>
> I would like log application to be automatically managed, but i believe
this
> is imposible until oracle 9.2 (DELAY PARAMETER OF THE LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_n).
> To do this manually, i plan to use a script to transfer logs to the
standby
> database and another one to apply logs and use 'RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL
TIME
> (current time -4 hours)'. Is this RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME a good
aproach
> or should I use the scripts to implement the delay?
>
> If i use RECOVER DATABASE UNTIL TIME, Will i be able to open the standby
> database read-only without having to use RESETLOGS, or recreate it
> afterwards?
>
> Thanx in advance

Recover database until time has absolutely nothing to do with updating the standby at a lag. It means 'make my database look like it did 4 hours ago', not 'please make my database bang up-to-date but only apply the logs after a four hour delay'. A database recovered with an 'until' clause will have lost committed transactions, can never become a standby again, can't be opened without a resetlogs, and has no valid backup or archives on which to rely in the event of another failure.

Please don't even go down this route. Unless you take charge of the redo application process yourself, there is no way that I know of of making 8i updte with a delay. And what you are proposing is even worse: a bastardised standby that is in God knows what state, and with committed transactions lost to boot. A mess of the first order.

If you want lagged standbys, upgrade to 9i. Otherwise, start scripting.

Regards
HJR Received on Sat Nov 15 2003 - 05:57:18 CST