Re: Migrating from Alpha Vms 6.1 and Oracle 7.0.16.6.0

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:51:49 +0100

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:04:50 +0100, labadie <labadie_g_at_decus.fr> wrote:

>hello
>
>I plan to migrate an Alpha 2100 from Vms 6.1 to Vms 7.3
>I have no problems with that.
>The Oracle database is 7.0.16.6.0 and I wonder which version I should go
>to if I want to be supported.
>

>I was thinking about 9.0.1.0
>How should I go for the upgrade path ?
>The customer uses Sql Forms 3.0, I was wondering if that was still
>available with recent oracle versions.

No. Forms 3.0 was replaced by Forms 4.5 in 1994. Your customer isn't living in Bedrock, isn't he?

>The transport used for Sql Net is decnet Phase IV, and the customer
>wants to keep it. Is it still available with recent Oracle versions ?

sqlnet 1 has been supplanted by sqlnet 2 has been supplanted by Net8. There are no separate drivers anymore, they are selected automatically. As the whole world is moving to TCP/IP it is very unlikely Oracle would still support a propietary protocol. Netware is being phased out too.

>As the customer has up to 30 users, any idea about the cost of the
>licence/CD/documentation ?

License questions shouldn't been asked here, as licenses are negotiable.
I would however take into account your customer probably needs to redesign and rewrite the app. Oracle doesn't support c/s anymore, and everything is webbased nowadays.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA