Re: Episode 2: the EntMgr Green Light!!

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Nov 2003 10:50:06 +1100

"Domenic G." <domenicg_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c7e08a19.0311071531.6aff4637_at_posting.google.com...
> > Well, Dom: you only have yourself to blame for the last one. Indexes
> > shouldn't need rebuilding at the best of time (yawn, yawn)!
>
> Says who?

Says me. Says Steve Adams. Says Jonathan Lewis, Says Thomas Kyte. Amongst others.

>Sequenced-based indexes get lopsided fairly quickly if
> they're not reverse key, and indexes should be rebuilt when a high
> percentage of the rows in the leaves have been deleted.

Oh for Heaven's sake. How many more times?? Oracle Indexes never, ever, ever get "lop-sided". That's why they're "balanced". And if a high percentage of your table rows have been deleted, then the blocks those rows will have been occupying will have been cleaned out and made available for the next insert of your ascending sequence. And if the leaf nodes aren't totally cleaned out after deletes from the table, that's what the coalesce command is there for.

> Documented procedures are for monkeys who don't know what they're
> doing.

Actually, they're not. They're there for management's benefit to see how the organisation *should* function. And they are there to provide transparency and visibility to significant operations that could otherwise render the organisation liable to costly failure (including litigation), and to provide some assurance that no matter how high the inflated opinion the DBA has of himself, what he does is traceable and reproducible. The failure of an instance is one such major incident, and it's entirely reasonable that there should be a procedure in place to check its status, and to do so in a step-by-step, logical, reproducible fashion.

Quality Auditor: So what do you to check the health of your primary database?
Boss: Dunno. I leave that to Dom. He does what he feels is necessary. Quality Auditor: I see. Certification denied. That will be $50,000 for *re*-certification, please.

>Not for experienced DBAs who do. They're meant for the
> backups when I'm on vacation. The documented procedures don't tell me
> what to do when I notice a lock mode of 4 on a table.

If that sort of thing happens on a regular or reproducible basis, then your documented procedures are lacking.

In any case, as I said, if you really objected to checking green lights in OEM, approach your boss and point out to him the inefficiency with the current documented procedure, and could he please show you the procedure that explains how to go about modifying the documented procedures? What's not acceptable in any certificated organisation is for here-today-and-probably-gone-tomorrow employees to do things which aren't compliant with established procedure. DBAs included.

HJR Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 17:50:06 CST