Re: Episode 2: the EntMgr Green Light!!

From: Domenic G. <domenicg_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 7 Nov 2003 15:34:58 -0800

> Hi Dom,
>
> Interesting, you should be a playwright ;)
>
> I've a few of questions regarding your normal routine DBA stuff.
>
> How long does it take you to validate structure all your indexes, what
> resources does it consume, what availability issues do you have as a result,
> how much DBA time is spent running and analysing the results ?
>
> What criteria do you use to regard an index worthy of rebuilding ?

deleted leaf rows / total rows > 20 per cent or
sequence based index that isn't reverse key needs rebuilding every so often to rebalance it
or
level is too deep relative to # of rows in table.

not long to rebuild the indexes - relatively small db.

> What benchmarks do you perform before the rebuild (ie. what performance
> issues are you experiencing), what benchmarks do you perform after the
> rebuild (ie. what has the rebuild achieved, what performance gains are you
> experiencing that's justifying the rebuilds) ?

that's hard to measure -- doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. like oil changes on your car -- do you see the immediate benefit?

> After rebuilding these indexes, how often and within what time periods are
> you finding that these indexes generally need rebuilding again ?

like i said, i don't rebuild all of them -- looks like you're abandoning your databases.

> Have you considered coalescing ?

no i use local extent management

> Are you confident that the cost-benefits of such activity is in your favour
> ?

i have to keep busy.