Re: Episode 2: the EntMgr Green Light!!

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:14:28 GMT

"Domenic G." <domenicg_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c7e08a19.0311061812.6659e5dd_at_posting.google.com...
> Here is another episode of a typical day for me as a DBA ...
>
> Boss: I got a call from Mary that the database is down.
> Me: Hold on while I check ...
> Me: Just a sec while I open a cmd prompt ... sqlplus "/ as sysdba" ....
> Boss: Don't do that! -- go check the green light in OEM!
> Me: That's for babies.
> Boss: That is our documented procedure.
> Me: But it's faster for me this way.
> Boss: Please follow our documented procedure.
> Me: FUMING
>
> Two hours later ...
>
> Boss: What are you working on?
> Me: Looking through index_stats to see if any indexes need rebuilding.
> Boss: Check with the vendor first to see if they allow that.
> Me: Don't worry, it's just normal routine DBA stuff.
> Boss: Still, please check.
> Me: Don't worry, it won't affect functionality -- they won't care either
way.
> Boss: Still, please check.
>
> Time to look for a new job -- this is a romper room Oracle shop
> Dom.

Hi Dom,

Interesting, you should be a playwright ;)

I've a few of questions regarding your normal routine DBA stuff.

How long does it take you to validate structure all your indexes, what resources does it consume, what availability issues do you have as a result, how much DBA time is spent running and analysing the results ?

What criteria do you use to regard an index worthy of rebuilding ?

How long does it take you to rebuild all such indexes, what resources does it consume, what availability issues do you have as a result, how much DBA time is spent rebuilding such indexes?

What benchmarks do you perform before the rebuild (ie. what performance issues are you experiencing), what benchmarks do you perform after the rebuild (ie. what has the rebuild achieved, what performance gains are you experiencing that's justifying the rebuilds) ?

After rebuilding these indexes, how often and within what time periods are you finding that these indexes generally need rebuilding again ?

Have you considered coalescing ?

Are you confident that the cost-benefits of such activity is in your favour ?

..... yes, they kinda leading questions ........

Cheers

Your Boss ;) Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 06:14:28 CST