Re: copy a DB from Solaris to HP-UX

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:19:01 -0000

"Alkos" <azerty_at_nospam.org> wrote in message news:bog97e$53i2_at_news.rd.francetelecom.fr...

> > The standby database HAS to be on the same platform. Your post is
> > crap.
> >

> > --
> > Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> "On the same platform" at which point ?
>
> same box,
> same OS,
> same patching scheme,
> same magnetic sticker forgotten by a malicious DBA ?

Same OS, Same Version/patchset of Oracle.

Magnetic stickers optional.

> My post wasn't crap, it was also sent to make people react.

For crap read entirely untested and untrue.

> I may have made a mistake saying that stand by DB could be the solution.

Indeed you did.

> Anyway I can't imagine such an efficient solution to implement high
> availability to be restricted by
> hardware or OS considerations.

Well the standby database is exactly limited by hardware and software considerations.

You might want to reread the dataguard/standby database documentation for what the requirements are.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA