Re: copy a DB from Solaris to HP-UX

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:16:30 +1100

"Joe" <emanonii_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:63bb2d27.0311060517.22595651_at_posting.google.com...
> Because the they want minimal downtime and the initial load involves
> either shipping a tape across the country or FTPing 50gb. In either
> case, there will be a number of hours where no changes could be made
> to the source system. Is there a way where after the export/import is
> done that any changes could be rolled to the new box?

Yes: Log Miner (your existing production system would need to be in archivelog mode). You can manually extract the SQL Statements from a known time from the logs, and produce SQL scripts to run against your new database.

But it's problematicas to whether you'd trap every possible change in this way... it's wide open to user error.

That's why I'd agree with Richard: investigate alternatives such as Streams, replication, or third party products.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Nov 06 2003 - 13:16:30 CST