Re: copy a DB from Solaris to HP-UX

From: Alkos <azerty_at_nospam.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 15:11:56 +0100

"Sybrand Bakker" <gooiditweg_at_sybrandb.nospam.demon.nl> a écrit dans le message news: nr5lqvsn25da4gp9caim5quif8j596mn14_at_4ax.com...
> On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 15:37:02 +0100, "Alkos" <azerty_at_nospam.org> wrote:
>

> >"Joe" <emanonii_at_yahoo.com> a écrit dans le message news:
> >63bb2d27.0311060517.22595651_at_posting.google.com...
> >> "Burt Peltier" <burttemp1ReMoVeThIs_at_bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> >other

> >> Because the they want minimal downtime and the initial load involves
> >> either shipping a tape across the country or FTPing 50gb. In either
> >> case, there will be a number of hours where no changes could be made
> >> to the source system. Is there a way where after the export/import is
> >> done that any changes could be rolled to the new box?
> >
> >Did you consider the idea of setting your DB archivelog automatic,
creating
> >a standby DB
> >on your HPUX site and copying only the redo logs until a time of lesser
> >activity and then
> >making your standby DB to become the production DB ?
> >
> >Alkos
> >

> The standby database HAS to be on the same platform. Your post is
> crap.
>

> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

"On the same platform" at which point ?

same box,
same OS,
same patching scheme,
same magnetic sticker forgotten by a malicious DBA ?

My post wasn't crap, it was also sent to make people react.

I may have made a mistake saying that stand by DB could be the solution. Anyway I can't imagine such an efficient solution to implement high availability to be restricted by
hardware or OS considerations.

Sybrand, if you have time to answer me, I'd like to know more about that.

Alkos Received on Fri Nov 07 2003 - 08:11:56 CST