Re: Oracle 9ias and Forms..

From: Luc Gyselinck <Luc.Gyselinck_at_nospampandora.be>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 07:05:56 GMT

Was your Forms 6 application already deployed for the Web ?

WebForms have 3 components: the client (applet), the application server (the ifweb process) and the database (Oracle) (opposed to the client/server setup which has only 2 components):
The first component takes care ONLY for the presentation! The second handles the data retrieval and data manipulation and executes the triggers in the forms.
The third ... manages the data.

So, whenever the user manipulates the presentation layer, ie presses a key, clicks the mouse buttons, moves the windows,... the applet generates an event that is passed to the ifweb process, which sends back instructions of what should be changed on the screen: one network roundtrip for each event.

For your example, navigating to another field with the tab key, involves : sending the 'tab key pressed' message to the server, the ifweb process executes the WHEN-VALIDATE-ITEM trigger, the POST-TEXT-ITEM trigger, the PRE-TEXT-ITEM trigger (and others), and sends instructions back to the applet: show a warning (validation failed) or 'move the cursor' or change the properties of a field or ...

If this takes a long time, either:

- your network is slow
- your proxy server is slow (if using a proxy server)
- your web server (Apache ?) is slow
- your DNS server is slow : your web server logs names in stead of ip
adresses
- the forms trigger code takes a long time to execute (queries are slow) - the database connection (Net8) between ifweb and database is slow

Luc