Re: SGA sizing in Very Large Memory 6 GB

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:46:25 +1100

"Wade Chy" <wchy65_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4fad73ef.0311051400.3e64e570_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi All,
> I am configuring a new Oracle 9.2 server for a Windows 2003. This
> server has 6 GB available memory. I have not worked with VLM before.
> This is a multipurpose database with approximately 20 GB data in it.

20 Gigs is a tiny database, actually. You could probably run it quite effectively on a machine with just 512MB of memory (depends on the number of concurrent users, really).

> What will the good values for SGA components like
>
> large_pool_size
> java_pool_size
> db_block_buffers

I'm afraid it's not that easy. No-one can tell you what these parameters "ought" to be set to, since setting them is the essence of performance tuning, and only you can perfomance tune your database.

If I said large pool should be 24M, Java Pool should be 24M and db_cache_size (you're on 9.2, so don't go setting db_block_buffers. Things are done differently these days) should be 160M, those would be average starting values only, and who can say whether they'd work well for you or not. Depends, too, on a number of "minor" factors that you didn't see fit to enlighten us on, such as how much Java is actually going to run within the database.

> etc.

That little "etc' is pretty significant, too: whatever happened to the shared_pool_size? Again, 160M is what I usually plump for when I haven't got a clue, but no-one but you can work out whether that's right for you or not.

> If any body can email me a copy of a sample parameter file with large
> SGA configuration, I would really appreciate it.

That's not going to help. No-one's database is going to perform like yours. You have to tune it to suite your own circumstances.

And your database doesn't warrant a large SGA anyway. 20GB is smaller than 3 of my test databases. And they run quite happily within 512MB to 1GB of RAM, each.

Sounds like your server might have been over-specc'd somewhat. I guess there's a hardware vendor out there somewhere who's feeling pretty happy right now.

Regards
HJR