Re: Does Oracle charge for development Licenses

From: Uwe Weber <uwe.weber_at_teleos-web.de>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:42:15 +0100

Frank wrote:

>> Ronnie wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was wondering whether Oracle charges for development licenses or
>>> not. For example we have 2 development machines and 2 production. Our
>>> developers write their code on the development servers and once tested
>>> and approved move it to the live production servers.
>>>
>>> Do we have to pay oracle for 4 server X cpu licensing or just 2.
>>>
>>> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Ron
>>
>> Yes, and no - depends on the product.
>>
>> Designer needs to be paid for; the RDBMS not.
>> Contact your local sales rep.
>>
> To soon...
> As there's no guarantee your developers won't run a large report,
> you'll probably have to pay for 4 servers. Again, contact your sales rep

As far as I understand the Oracle Software Investment Guide, only the use of software downloaded from OTN and used by the person who downloaded it is free for this single person for development use. When anything developed with this software is sold or goes into production, you have to license the software regularly.

Regards,
uwe Received on Thu Oct 30 2003 - 13:42:15 CST