Upgrade 8.1.6 -> 9.2 via exp/imp

From: Walt <walt_at_boatnerd.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:32:20 -0500

I'm upgrading a production Oracle database from 8.1.6 on WinNT to 9.2 on W2k.

The upgrade path I have chosen is to migrate using Export/Import (this is so that I can do multiple dry runs without having to take the current production system off line.)

I've installed 9.2 on the new box and used the database configuration assistant to get it up and running. So far, so good. But I notice that I've got a couple of dozen users/schemas that don't appear to be necessary. Most are locked. Before I do a full import from the current box,

Should I

  1. drop all users and tablespaces except for sys and system?
  2. leave things as they are and import over the top of what's already there?
  3. attempt to figure out what each of these schemas are for and remove the cruft?
  4. start over with a new database creation script that does a cleaner install?

Thanks.

--

//-Walt
//