Re: Upgrade 8.1.6 -> 9.2 via exp/imp

From: Tom McCready <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:09:37 -0500

Walt wrote:

>I'm upgrading a production Oracle database from 8.1.6 on WinNT to 9.2 on
>W2k.
>
>The upgrade path I have chosen is to migrate using Export/Import (this
>is so that I can do multiple dry runs without having to take the current
>production system off line.)
>
>I've installed 9.2 on the new box and used the database configuration
>assistant to get it up and running. So far, so good. But I notice that
>I've got a couple of dozen users/schemas that don't appear to be
>necessary. Most are locked. Before I do a full import from the current
>box,
>
>Should I
>
>a) drop all users and tablespaces except for sys and system?
>
>b) leave things as they are and import over the top of what's already
>there?

Walt,

If you import an Oracle 8 into Oracle 9, you might lose some of the benefits of locally-managed tablespaces. Even if you set up tablespaces to be locally-managed, and then import tables into them, these tables will carry their attributes, which they had in Oracle 8.1.6, with them into Oracle 9, potentially overriding any attributes, which they might have had in locally-managed tablespaces. One workaround is to create the tables in Oracle 9 using DDL, and then import into them, specifying IGNORE=Y. Disclaimer: I am new to this.

Tom Received on Thu Oct 30 2003 - 14:09:37 CST