Re: SQL Server Yukon

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 27 Oct 2003 20:08:05 -0800

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:<1067277048.821099_at_yasure>...

> Is Oracle one of the most incompetent marketing organizations on the
> planet for its size?
> Absolutely. When a room full of industry professionals (my students) can
> name a dozen or
> more Microsoft products and still think Oracle is a one product company
> Oracle's marketing
> staff should be reduce to half-pay until they earn the rest of their
> salary.

How true. I've maintained this for years. Back in the days when Ingres was alive and claimed at every drop of a hat that Oracle could sell only because it had "good marketing", I simply had to laugh! Oracle NEVER had good marketing. Ever!

That is if we consider "marketing" in the conventional sense as the science of creating long term demand for a range of products.

Of course, others call "marketing" to what used to be called PR and advertising. In those areas, sure, Oracle might do better than many.

But not in real marketing: they don't have the foggiest.

> candy on the CD. But
> to make people aware of the fact that the candy exists and how to use
> it. Something they
> have failed at time and time again.

Exactly. And making it cheaper for the same candy ain't gonna solve the problem.

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Mon Oct 27 2003 - 22:08:05 CST