Re: are hints still necessary in 9i?

From: Charles J. Fisher <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 19:11:58 GMT

On Wed, 8 Oct 2003, Ryan Gaffuri wrote:

> Tom Kyte swears that if you properly analyze your table, the CBO is at
> the point where you never need hints. I find I still need them
> 'occasionally', though not very often.

> anyone else have opinions? anyone who beta tested 10g see an
> improvement in the CBO? IT tends to get a little better with each
> release.

Umm... I've never used it, but don't you need hints to control parallel query?

Wouldn't there be cases where the NOCACHE hint would be useful for an infrequent full table scan where you don't want to disturb the block buffers?

Is it unfathomable that one might want to switch to all_rows, first_rows, choose, or rule in a sql statement without issuing an alter session?

   / Charles J. Fisher    | "Fascism should more properly be called          /
  /  cfisher_at_rhadmin.org  |  corporatism, since it is the merger of state   /
 /   http://rhadmin.org   |  and corporate power." -- Mussolini            /