Re: Oracle speed issue between 8i and 9i

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:33:52 +0100

Comment in-line.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Belgium__November (EOUG event - "Troubleshooting")
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference - "CBO")

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Billy Verreynne" <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za> wrote in message

> First, we need to establish a baseline. 9i performance is equal or
> better than 8i ito performance using the same query, same table,
same
> physical db layout, same stats, same platform, etc. Period.
>
> If this someone wants to dispute this, well then they are saying
that
> Oracle's db developers downgraded the performance of 9i in
comparison
> with 8i. And that is bullshit.

There is at least one very good reason why the Oracle developers could choose to make some queries, or even the entire strategy for handling logical I/O run "more slowly" - and that is to increase scalability. I have found several areas of operation where Oracle (the software) seems to use more CPU to get a task down whilst using less latching. Given that CPU speeds keep going up, but latching reduces scalability, it makes sense to trade CPU for latches, i.e. to produce slower code that is capable of higher concurrency. Another line of thought that would also result in a considering slower code a benefit - Oracle has added a lot more CPU-intensive instrumentation all the way down the line, but the benefit is that problems can be diagnosed more readily, and real problems can be fixed more easily. If that means current systems run more slowly, so what - CPUs can be upgraded, it's people-time that costs most money.