Re: 9i RAC without Raw Partitions ...

From: Sten Rognes <FatDBA_at_morespam.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 18:14:20 GMT

"Domenic G." <domenicg_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is this possible nowadays? I heard Veritas recently released a
> cluster file system certified for 9i RAC that does away with raw
> partitions. This sounds great. Is anyone out there using it?

Been using Veritas 3.5 DE/AC for Oracle (CFS) with RAC and are happy with the product. Compared to my experiences with OCFS (Linux), Veritas is a lot easier to install/configure/manage and a lot more stable. If you are currently running an older version of VCS it might be usefull knowing that Veritas supports in-place upgrade to the 3.5 DE/AC stack as well as conversion of the file systems to CFS.

If your platform is Linux, one of the drawbacks with OCFS as I experience it, is that you can't host the OH on the clustered file system. Software maintenance/patching can be a nightmare if managing a larger number of nodes/instances. Don't know what your timeframe is, but it might be worth looking out for OCFS ver.2.0 which is just around the corner. Ver.2.0 supports hosting both OH and archive log destinations on the clustered file system.

If you are willing to look at alternatives to OCFS for Linux, I've been quite impressed with Polyserver Matrix Server. It's a more mature product than OCFS and provides a true symmetric cluster file system.

Sten