Re: Slow Crystal Reports with Oracle

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 18 Oct 2003 11:14:10 -0700

kplasun_at_hotmail.com (kris p) wrote in message news:<db13b49.0310172027.322d43fa_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> Yes, I'm going to try the view solution. We upgraded the server
> from a p4 1.8mhz to a 2 cpu xeon, STILL Oracle maximizes
> CPU cycles when running the report. How would I do an ODBC
> trace? Or is there any way to get Oracle to log or show exactly
> what it's doing at any given moment?
>
> Thanks,
> Kristoff Plasun

I can't tell you how to perform an odbc trace. If you connect using a native driver, tracing the session (sql_trace) from the oracle server side while the report runs (set event 10046, waits=>true) will provide you with the raw data as to why the query runs slow. Using tkprof on the resulting trace file will provide you with a nicely formatted report with summary data.

There exist a great many papers out there on the net for how to trace a session in oracle. I'd start at the AskTom Site: http://asktom.oracle.com.

You can compile the package dbms_support as a convenient method to enable tracing in another session.

have fun.

Pd Received on Sat Oct 18 2003 - 13:14:10 CDT