Re: are hints still necessary in 9i?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:43:48 +0100

I have to disagree with your closing point.

The best time to start asking about the cost of a new feature is exactly the moment when some starts proposing it as the fix to every problem (which is rather implied by your earlier comment).

In passing, I've been impressed with what the tuning package can do - though I still have a lot more tests to give it, so I'm not knocking the idea, just being my usual cautious self about making sure that it is applied in the right place at the right time.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Iceland__November (tbc)
____Belgium__November (EOUG event)