Re: How to create the seed database?

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 17:43:33 +1000

Peter wrote:

> I have used DBCA to create a new schema, this time using the "General
> Purpose" database option.

I think in that case (and you have really got to re-read those manuals until something starts clicking) you have created a new *database*, which is not a schema, but a collection of schemas.

If it helps you to get the right words at the right time:

An instance is a collection of memory structures that manage a database A database is a collection of physical disk structures that hold data A user is something that owns a bunch of objects A bunch of objects is called a schema
Objects reside within tablespaces
Tablespaces are physically comprised of 1 or more datafiles

A database is thus a collection of datafiles, of tablespaces, of objects, of schemas... depending on which level of granularity you happen to be interested in at the time. Like light being simultaneously a particle and a wave, a database is actually all those things at the same time.

>After the creation I got the all the objects
> owned by user HR.

That could be re-phrased as: 'After the creation I got the HR schema'. Because HR's schema is, by definition, the collection of all the objects owned by HR.

> Do the other options create the example schemas?

I think you might want to experiment with dbca yourself to answer that one. You can always back out before clicking the 'Finish' button if disk space and memory are tight, so you don't actually have to create the databases. But there's an awful lot in dbca that only a lot of clicking around will reveal to you.

The short answer, however, is that the 'General', 'Warehouse' and 'OLTP' options are based on Oracle templates, which are simply cloned when you eventually click 'Finish'. So what options you get with those templates depends entirely on what the template database designers decided to include. Why not go through the motions of creating those other template databases, but instead of actually creating them, ask dbca to create the scripts for their creation? Then you'll have a bunch of text files which you can inspect in notepad at your leisure, and you'll be able to answer your own question precisely.

However, the 'New Database' option lets you choose the makeup of your database to your heart's content (and there's a quite detailed walk-through of it in the 'Installing Oracle 9i on Red Hat 9' white paper at my website -and the O/S is irrelevant to that bit of the paper, so it would still be of use to you), including choosing which schemas you want included in the new database (there are more sample schemas than just HR).

Regards
HJR

See my brand new website, soon to be full of
new articles: www.dizwell.com.
Nothing much there yet, but give it time!!