Re: function based index and DB - startupparameters

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 08:33:43 +0100

It certainly used to be true that you had to set query_rewrite_enabled to true to
use a function based index at all, and then query_rewrite_integrity = trusted to use a home-grown pl/sql function. You also
had to have the query rewrite privilege
to create the index in the first place.

It's the sort of area where Oracle makes little changes with newer releases, though, sometimes simply to change the default
value init.ora parameters; so it's worth having a little test case built that can be re-run on each point release.

(e.g. I think at some point from 8 to 9, the query_rewrite_enabled default changed from false to true - so a statement like "you don't need to set ..." is suddenly true, because you don't set it, it is set by default.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Iceland__November (tbc)
____Belgium__November (EOUG event)