Re: are hints still necessary in 9i?

From: Venkat <0002_eveev_at_oohay.moc>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:26:27 -0700

on 10/9/2003 1:01 PM Jonathan Lewis said the following:

>But how are Profiles different from Outlines ?

Major difference is that Outlines freezes a particular plan and Profiles dont. Also, the way I see, Profiles are 'automatic' (generated by the SQL Tuning Advisor (new in 10g) that runs the optimizer in a 'Tuning' mode and gives it more time to find a very good plan) and Outlines are 'manual'.

>And what is the cost of enabling a few profiles
>for a few special SQL statements when 99%
>of your code does not need profiles ?
>The second question is more important than the
>first - there is always a cost/benefit trade in a
>feature like this.

Thats exactly true. But, its a bit too early to start making about the cost of enabling new 10g features isn't it?

-V