Re: system statistics

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2003 20:57:29 +0100

Even when system stats are active, the
optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching still have an effect.

The system stats allow Oracle to work out the relative cost if block acquisition turns into a physical I/O - the other two give it an indication (effectively) of how much of that I/O is likely to be buffered and therefore 'free'.

Taking the view that the older parameters indicate caching, you need to view the
optimized_index_cost_adj as the percentage of the I/O that DOES become physical if
you want a 'rational' justification for choosing a setting.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
____Iceland__November (tbc)
____Belgium__November (EOUG event)