system statistics

From: Richard Kuhler <noone_at_nowhere.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 17:28:17 GMT

I'm reading "Effective Oracle by Design" by Thomas Kyte. He seems to be advocating using GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS _instead_of_ tuning OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING and OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ directly. I can't find anything in the Oracle documentation that suggests that the presence of system statistics causes the optimizer to ignore the other settings. While I intend to do some experimentation, I'm wondering if anyone can make a definitive statement in this regard. Or, am I just misinterpreting the passage?

Anyone have an opinion or real world experience to share on this?

--
Richard Kuhler