Re: system statistics

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:42:32 -0700

Jonathan Lewis wrote:

>Even when system stats are active, the
>optimizer_index_cost_adj and optimizer_index_caching
>still have an effect.
>
>The system stats allow Oracle to work out the
>relative cost if block acquisition turns into a
>physical I/O - the other two give it an indication
>(effectively) of how much of that I/O is likely
>to be buffered and therefore 'free'.
>
>Taking the view that the older parameters
>indicate caching, you need to view the
>optimized_index_cost_adj as the percentage
>of the I/O that DOES become physical if
>you want a 'rational' justification for choosing
>a setting.
>

>--
>Regards
>
>Jonathan Lewis
>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk
>
> The educated person is not the person
> who can answer the questions, but the
> person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr
>

>One-day tutorials:
>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html
>____Iceland__November (tbc)
>____Belgium__November (EOUG event)
>____UK_______December (UKOUG conference)
>

>Three-day seminar:
>see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
>____USA__October
>____UK___November
>

>The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ
>http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html
>

>"Richard Kuhler" <noone_at_nowhere.com> wrote in message
>

>>I'm reading "Effective Oracle by Design" by Thomas Kyte. He seems
>>

>to be
>

>>advocating using GATHER_SYSTEM_STATS _instead_of_ tuning
>>OPTIMIZER_INDEX_CACHING and OPTIMIZER_INDEX_COST_ADJ directly. I
>>

>can't
>

>>find anything in the Oracle documentation that suggests that the
>>presence of system statistics causes the optimizer to ignore the
>>

>other
>

>>settings. While I intend to do some experimentation, I'm wondering
>>

>if
>

>>anyone can make a definitive statement in this regard. Or, am I
>>

>just
>

>>misinterpreting the passage?
>>
>>Anyone have an opinion or real world experience to share on this?
>>
>>--
>>Richard Kuhler

Have you had any luck with CPU costing in DBMS_XPLAN? I have followed every bit of advice Connor sent me
and still get a message indicating statistics collection is not turned on ... while simultaneously seeing the values collecting.

Win2K SP4 Oracle EE 9.2.0.4.

--
Daniel Morgan
damorgan_at_x.washington.edu