Re: Outsourcing developer to India and China - As an Oracle developer I am miffed

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 02:13:48 +1000

"Howard J. Rogers" <hjr_at_dizwell.com> wrote in message news:3f837318$0$24715$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au...

> As it happens, it turns out they were right. Their jobs were destroyed. But
> is Manchester any the less for it today? It's a fine Victorian-architecure
> city that does a thriving trade on tourism, including industrial
> architecture tourism, and (apparently) is a acandidate for the Gay capital
> of Europe. Who would have imagined that?!

:D
Are you suggesting that DBAs should turn gay and engage in tourism activities? I can think of better ways to use my skills...

> Point is, this thread is silly, because the forces at work are bigger than
> you or I can control, and at the end of it all, we'll survive. Just like
> they did in Manchester.

Hmmmmm, I don't believe it's the same at all. There is one big difference: Manchester was primarily an industrial city. With IT, we're talking services. The two things are not exactly the same and they do not necessarily obey the same economic rules.

> Read Adam Smith on the law of comparative advantage.

In his time society was mostly secular and traditional. None of his ideas have been proven to work *in the long term* in an advanced, services-oriented society. We're playing with fire by claiming his principles apply to everything and every social activity. That is not what he wrote about and has not been proven anywhere.

> This isn't new, and it isn't the sky falling in either.

I'm quite sure those out of a job and supporting a family agree entirely with you...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto