Re: Is this a good situation for an Index ?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:42:13 +1000

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1064672663.794186_at_yasure...

> habits? No. So revenue decreases. Will anyone currently hosting on UNIX
> or other real operating systems
> dump their hardware and move to Wintel. Possibly but certainly not at
> the top end of the market that Oracle
> targets. The cost of migration, training, and the availability of their
> applications just isn't there.

I hate to say this, but there are quite a few locally that have successfully moved from Oracle on Unix to Oracle on WinES. From there to moving to SQL Server once it is available native will be a smaller step. Not easy, but smaller... I'm talking BIG companies, BTW.

> policy. If they drop the price now and capture
> suffiicient marketshare they've blunted Microsoft's move.

Exactly. Smart move.

> Marketshare is a marketing weasel thing ... the argument being buy our
> product because more people are using it
> than our competitor's product.

Hey, IBM has made a living out of just that! ;)

> Though, of course, Oracle can grab Linux bundle in an operating system
> without investing more than a few dollars.

My guess is that eventually they'll have to. There will be a resurgence of the old idea of buying the whole kit from Oracle, including the hardware. Kinda like the "database boxes" of a few years ago.

> be an earthquake in Redmond. By decent I
> mean using a bit of marketing savy like putting a GUI shell around vi
> and find.

Lindows is doing it. If they can keep the price for the full stuff low, there is a chance...

> Not exactly a great demonstration of analytical thinking. (How's that
> for a politically neutral statement that
> will be agreed to by everyone no matter their country or persuasion?)

http://members.optushome.com.au/nsouto/images/Vatikan.jpg

<sorry, couldn't resist! :D>

--
Cheers