Re: LMT advice

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:29:38 +1000

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:TSgdb.126232$bo1.106131_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> I don't follow the question, what does uniform size have to do with ASSM ?
>
> If I did, I would help, honest :)

The original message from Howard seemed to indicate there was a choice to be made for ASSM? If there is (and note: I don't have 10g in my hands, so I can't confirm), then it's really not that much different.

My guess is there isn't. It will use an algorithm based on apparently 64K (why 64K?).

I have only one concern with ASSM at this stage: is it smart enough to allocate minimal blocks to an empty object? Because if it allocates 64K to empty ones, then it will be wasting disk in a major way with applications that define thousands of empty objects. Yes, I know disks are cheap. Not THAT cheap yet...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto