Re: Is this a good situation for an Index ?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2003 15:34:34 -0700

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:<3f75a1d4$0$13416$afc38c87_at_news.optusnet.com.au>...
> "Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message news:1064672663.794186_at_yasure...
>
> > habits? No. So revenue decreases. Will anyone currently hosting on UNIX
> > or other real operating systems
> > dump their hardware and move to Wintel. Possibly but certainly not at
> > the top end of the market that Oracle
> > targets. The cost of migration, training, and the availability of their
> > applications just isn't there.
>
> I hate to say this, but there are quite a few locally that
> have successfully moved from Oracle on Unix to Oracle on WinES.
> From there to moving to SQL Server once it is available native
> will be a smaller step. Not easy, but smaller...
> I'm talking BIG companies, BTW.

Yes, I've been saying this for years, it is directly analogous to what happened to mainframes with minis, then minis with pc's: Anything that could be winnowed down is likely to be. Some things just plain require a mainframe or equivalent. Those things are the most lucrative, as they are the epitome of big business. Is there growth there? Things that can be made smaller are likely to become commodities - with associated economies of scale and mass production - and razor thin margins. So give away the razors and sell the blades to make an income stream.

> > policy. If they drop the price now and capture
> > suffiicient marketshare they've blunted Microsoft's move.
>
> Exactly. Smart move.

Uh, shrinking revenue will blunt Larry's stock price...

> > Marketshare is a marketing weasel thing ... the argument being buy our
> > product because more people are using it
> > than our competitor's product.
>
> Hey, IBM has made a living out of just that! ;)
>
> > Though, of course, Oracle can grab Linux bundle in an operating system
> > without investing more than a few dollars.
>
> My guess is that eventually they'll have to. There will be a
> resurgence of the old idea of buying the whole kit from Oracle,
> including the hardware. Kinda like the "database boxes" of a few
> years ago.
>
> > be an earthquake in Redmond. By decent I
> > mean using a bit of marketing savy like putting a GUI shell around vi
> > and find.
>
> Lindows is doing it. If they can keep the price for the full
> stuff low, there is a chance...

There might be a chance were Lindows (or equivalent) to push into some killer app, or even put out an Oracle usable by small businesses, but the reality is Robertson is perceived as a bit of a nutcase running around with a "Sky is Falling" placard: http://www.powernet.net/~raife/rants/michael_robertson_flyer.html

I find the implication that sqlserver is not profitable very interesting.

MS has just started paying dividends, which may be seen as reacting to the political and stock market climate, or conversely as a company maturing into a steady income stream from maintenance and upgrades. If the latter, it would make sense to bundle sqlserver, especially if it is not profitable to begin with.

> > Not exactly a great demonstration of analytical thinking. (How's that
> > for a politically neutral statement that
> > will be agreed to by everyone no matter their country or persuasion?)
>
> http://members.optushome.com.au/nsouto/images/Vatikan.jpg
>
> <sorry, couldn't resist! :D>

Oh man, LOL!

jg