Re: RMAN, Legato, DBMS_BACKUP_RESTORE.DEVICEALLOCATE

From: Roger Redford <dba_222_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 30 Sep 2003 16:21:52 -0700

This has been a really mysterious and esoteric issue. Yes, we did read the docs over and over, and follow what they said. And as I mentioned, I played with the syntax quite a bit, but to no avail.

No, I wasn't looking for a clairvoyant. I was hoping to find someone who spoke from experience, recognized the symptom, and knew the solution.

So, for anyone who gets these errors, here is our experience.

The OS was 64 bit (HP) (use: getconf KERNEL_BITS) The database was 64 bit (see v$version)
But Legato was installed in 32 bit. (talk to the people who installed it.)

(The cause wasn't my doing. When I was brought in, it was my job to fix it. )

The solution was to install the 64 bit Legato. Then, delete and recreate the unix links as mentioned in the docs.

Good luck.