Error not thrown back to Java app?

From: Ernie Harrison <ernieh_at_felisonca.com>
Date: 23 Sep 2003 11:49:07 -0700

Help! One of our contractors is saying that Oracle (8i) is not throwing back an error message on a primary key violation, so his app doesn't know the transaction failed. He isn't an Oracle developer, I'm not a Java developer, so we have a disconnect in the middle. The app did work until late last week, when he made some changes, but he says his changes couldn't have done anything. I'm trying to get this resolved before it turns into a puking contest. He wants me to "check the transaction log" to see why Oracle is failing to throw the error. I'm not sure there is such a thing, at least the way he seems to think. On my end, the table simply doesn't have the new rows inserted, because there was a primary key violation. But is there a situation where Oracle would not throw the error back to the app? Or is there something he needs to add to his app to catch it? The app seems to have caught other errors at other times; he's experienced with Java against DB2, so he's not new to the Java-database programming world. But I'm not sure where to turn next on this.

Thanks,
Harry Boswell Received on Tue Sep 23 2003 - 13:49:07 CDT