Re: Error not thrown back to Java app?

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 19:09:39 GMT

> The
> app did work until late last week, when he made some changes, but he
> says his changes couldn't have done anything.

How many times has one heard this one??????? If it worked, and changes were made, and now it doesn't work, then the most likely culprit is that the changes caused it not to work anymore. Find out exactly what the changes were.

> He wants me to "check
> the transaction log" to see why Oracle is failing to throw the error.

About the best you can do is to mine the archived transaction logs with LogMiner. Otherwise, there is no such transaction log.

> I'm not sure there is such a thing, at least the way he seems to
> think. On my end, the table simply doesn't have the new rows
> inserted, because there was a primary key violation. But is there a
> situation where Oracle would not throw the error back to the app? Or
> is there something he needs to add to his app to catch it?

The JDBC drivers and the SQL java class have the requisite routines to catch any and all Oracle errors thrown to the Java app. One needs to make sure that the app is coded to catch these routines.

If you want to catch the error and you need something else, then you can set EVENT 1 for your instance. When someone trips an ORA-00001 error (unique constraint violation), then a trace file will be generated and put into UDUMP.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com