Re: Hot backup- want to group tablespaces in script during off-hours

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 06:42:48 +1000

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

[snip]

> I will need to revisit it soon though, once I get all my db's running on
> 9i, but perhaps I'll take the time to learn more RMAN by then and it'll
> be a non-issue. I think Howard mentioned once that the RMAN in 9i is a
> *very* polished product and well worth using (I'm sure he'll correct me
> if I'm wrong!)

I hope I've mentioned it more than once!

RMAN in 9i is extremely useable. The scripting language from hell can still be used if you've devilish instincts, but otherwise 'backup database;' is about it: everything else is a one-off set-and-forget job, if you want it to be.

Added to which, block-level recover and restore is only possible in RMAN.

Likewise, incrementals.

A very nice utility indeed.

And soon I won't even be being paid to say this stuff... so I mean it!!

Regards
HJR Received on Wed Sep 17 2003 - 15:42:48 CDT